Sunday, January 17, 2010

Taking Small Steps in Blogging

Most of my students have never actually blogged before, although of course a majority are adept at texting and instant messaging. They are surprised when I tell them that texting language is not to be used with blogging, but generally they accept this rule because, after all, this is a language arts class! For this reason, I'm finding it necessary to first conduct a lesson on the proper use of blogging: that is, it's designed for use as a classroom tool in this case, and should not contain references to their plans outside of school or other strictly personal data. Most students also do not keep diaries, so I find myself needing to introduce them to the concept of journaling. So far I have only asked them to comment on the current literature we are reading, by either asking a question, drawing a conclusion, or relating a personal story. Since I already have a website where I post homework that they are familiar with, I have bypassed the first step recommended by Richardson (p. 45). The next step, however, of getting them to read blogs, I am going to try when we get back to school next Wednesday after this short break. It is also the start of a new semester, so I believe that may be a good place to begin.

Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, wiks, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

1 comment:

  1. I like your approach to this new process for your students - little steps! I wondered if you have issues with access to the needed technology?

    ReplyDelete