Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Social Learning

One of the most interesting concepts I read about this week in terms of social constructivism is intersubjectivity. "Intersubjectivity is a shared understanding among individuals whose interaction is based on common interests and assumptions that form the ground for their communication" (Rogoff, cited in Kim, 2001). Shared knowledge evolves through articulated thought processes in dialogue. Recently when my students were reading a novel, I had them blog about it together online, and I enjoyed reading their comments as they reasoned their way through some of the more complex questions that I posted for them to answer. I find that I usually have to make adjustments to my own perspective after reading or listening to student ideas, as they adjust theirs.

Recently they finished cooperative podcast projects, based on research. My students are on many different levels, intellectually and socially, but as we were watching the results of their efforts, I was impressed by the amount of information they had been able to assemble and synthesize in a relatively short period of time. For most students, this was their first podcast, so they also had to learn how to write a script from their research, assemble the audio and the pictures, and add a bibliography. Students who were able to build on each other's ideas and to integrate their tasks, assisting each other where necessary, were more successful than students who saw their individual tasks as being a separate part of the project, rather than a piece of the "flow".

Pitler mentions online calendars and next time I assign a project, I want to try one of those, since students can sometimes find time management very challenging.

De.icio.us is a wonderful site, and I have found it indispensable for sharing information and bookmarks. It is very flexible, in that I can keep whatever bookmarks I want private while sharing others. I have recently found out that I can circumvent the Youtube block my district has set up by sharing videos on a blog that I keep just for that purpose. I realize that not everything on YouTube is worthwhile, but there is a lot of valuable content as well.

Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism.. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment